Thursday, June 2, 2011

GOT MILK GLASS?


I remember as a child going to my grandmother's home and just staring at her milk glass collection. The pattern was so simple and yet so beautiful. I was elated when she gave me her beloved collection. Every time I look at it I think of her. I think of how she was probably just as excited to get it as I was. The collection I have is about fifty years old. 
Milk glass originated in Venice during the 16th century and it came in a variety of colors. However, today the opaque color is most commonly found along with some blue.
During the early 20th century, known as the American Gilded age, milk glass went hand in hand with wealthy Americans. This particular era produced some of the finest quality of milk glass ever. Unfortunately, the depression hit and milk glass was seen as less elegant and its quality suffered as a result.
Today, milk glass is a popular collectible and is produced by some of the most prestigious glass companies. For me, it is priceless as it reminds me of someone very dear who valued milk glass as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment